Earth Science Reading Questions 16.1 Name ____________________________________
What is Weather? pp. 485-492
1. What helps scientists predict weather more accurately than folklore?
2. Who are meteorologists?
3. What factors cause weather?
4. Where does the Earth’s energy come from?
5. How is sunlight reflected and scattered?
6. What happens to the sunlight that is scattered?
7. Why is the ozone layer important?
8. How is the sun’s energy spread through the atmosphere?
9. What is conduction?
10. What is convection?
11. What causes convection currents?
12. What is radiation?
13. What happens to the radiation that is absorbed?
14. What is the greenhouse effect?
15. Why is carbon dioxide important?
16. What is the suns angle at the equator?
17. What does this cause?
18. Why do other areas get less direct sunlight?
19. How do thermometers work?
20. What unit is temperature measured in?
Earth Science Reading Questions 16.2 Name ____________________________________
Air Pressure pp. 493-502
Earth Science Reading Questions 16.3 Name ____________________________________
Winds? pp. 496-503
1. What are winds?
2. What are the two types of winds?
3. What causes a sea breeze?
4. What causes a land breeze?
5. What does the name of a wind tell you?
6. What is a monsoon?
7. How do monsoons affect the weather?
8. What happens to the air at the equator and at the poles?
9. Which way does the wind curve in the Northern hemisphere? In the Southern Hemisphere?
10. What does Figure 16-16 show?
11. What are the winds like in the doldrums?
12. Why is 30° called the horse latitudes?
13. Which directions are the trade winds in the Northern hemisphere? In the Southern Hemisphere?
14. What are the prevailing westerlies?
15. Describe the polar easterlies
16. What is the jet stream?
17. How does the jet stream effect weather?
18. What does a wind vane tell you?
19. What does an anemometer tell you?
Earth Science Reading Questions 16.4 Name ____________________________________
Moisture pp. 503-508
1. How does moisture enter the air?
2. What is humidity?
3. What is relative humidity?
4. When is air saturated?
5. How does a psychrometer work?
6. Why does rising air become saturated?
7. How do clouds form?
8. What are the three main types of clouds?
9. Describe cumulus clouds.
10. What type of weather is associated with stratus clouds?
11. Describe cirrus clouds
12. What do cirrus clouds tell you about the weather?
13. What is precipatation?
14. How do droplets change size?
15. How does sleet form?
16. how does snow form?
17. How does hail form?
18. How do they measure the amount of rain that falls?
Earth Science Reading Questions 16.5 Name ____________________________________
Weather Patterns pp. 509-516
1. What is an air mass?
the following air masses
3. What type of weather is associated with a maritime tropical air mass?
4. What type of weather is associated with a maritime polar air mass?
5. What type of weather is associated with a continental tropical air mass?
6. What type of weather is associated with a continental polar air mass?
7. What is a front?
8. What happens in a cold front?
9. What weather is associated with a cold front?
10. How does a warm front form?
11. What type of weather is associated with a warm front?
12. What is an occluded front?
13. What is a stationary front?
14. What type of weather is associated with a stationary front?
15. What is a storm?
16. How do rainstorms and snow storm form?
17. How does a thunderstorm form?
18. What is lightning?
19. How does thunder form?
20. What is a cyclone?
21. What is an anticyclone?
22. What is a hurricane?
23. What is a tornado
Earth Science Reading Questions 16.6 Name ____________________________________
Predicting the Weather pp. 517-522
1. Why are accurate predictions important?
2. What makes predictions possible?
3. What are universal weather symbols?
4. How do you indicate the direction of the wind?
5. How do you indicate the speed of the wind?
6. What other information is included?
7. How is a cold front indicated?
8. How is a warm front indicated?
9. How is a stationary front indicated?
10. How is a occluded front indicated?
11. What is an isotherm?
12. What is an isobar?
13. What is the only type of weather control we currently have?