Chapter 14 Vocabulary Name ______________________________________
Complete the following statements by writing the correct term in the space provided.
1. The magnetic force of a magnet is strongest at the .______________________
2. The magnetic region around a magnet is called its ._______________________
3. Microscopic magnetic regions in magnets are called .______________________
4. When all of the domains in a material are arranged in the same direction, the material becomes a(n) ._______________
5. A device that takes advantage of the earth’s magnetic field and is used to determine direction is a(n) _______________
6. A device made by placing a bar of soft iron inside a wire coil is called a(n)._________________
7. The process of inducing a current by moving a magnetic field through a wire coil is called _____________________
8. What is a magnetic pole?
9. In the space provided, draw the magnetic field of a bar magnet. Label the poles.
10. How can a piece of iron become magnetized?
11. What happens if a bar magnet is allowed to move freely at the end of a string? What can you infer about the earth from the behavior of the magnet?
11. Predict what will happen if the iron bars in Figure 1 are brought near one another.
12. Predict what will happen if the iron bars in Figure 2 are brought near one another.
Figure 1 Two Bar Magnets
Figure 2 Two Bar Magnets
13. How can a compass, wires, and a dry cell be used to show that electricity produces magnetism?
14. Explain how to use a dry cell, an iron nail, and a coil of wire to make a magnet that can be turned on and off.