Practice 2.3 Name ___________________________________
1. Classify each of the following as a physical or chemical property of sulfur.
________________________ a. Its density is 2.97 g/cm3.
________________________ b. It reacts with hydrogen to form a gas.
________________________ c. It is a yellow solid.
________________________ d. Its melting point is 112°C.
________________________ e. It combines with oxygen.
2. Classify each of the following as a physical or chemical property of phosphorus.
________________________ a. It is a white, waxy solid.
________________________ b. It burns in air.
________________________ c. Its melting point is 44.1°C.
________________________ d. It has a density of 1.82 g/cm3.
________________________ e. Its boiling point is 280.3°C.
3. Categorize each of the following examples as a chemical or physical change.
________________________ a. bending a metal rod
________________________ b. burning wood
________________________ c. breaking glass
________________________ d. painting wood
________________________ e. cooking
________________________ f. burning propane
4. Calculate the mass of a sample of pure silver g/cm3) that has a volume of 12.99 cm3.
5. Compute the density of an 820 g sample of pure silicon occupying a 350 cm3 container. (density = 10.49g/cm3)
6. What is the Law of Conservation of Mass? Give an example that demonstrates this Law.
7. What is the Law of Conservation of Mass? Give an example that demonstrates this Law.